Practicing law since 1998, Heather Krans provides high-quality representation to clients in the areas of:
- Family law
- Appellate law
- Complex commercial litigation
- Professional licensure
Heather has been selected by her peers for inclusion in Best Lawyers in America (2013, 2014). She has been named the Best Lawyers' 2014 Concord Family Law "Lawyer of the Year." Heather is also listed as a “Rising Star” in Super Lawyers® - Rising Stars Edition (2010, 2011, and 2012).
In 2012, after a rigorous selection process, including evaluation based on peer recognition and professional achievement, Heather was admitted as a Fellow of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers (AAML), an association of the nation’s leading practitioners in the field of family law. She is one of only four lawyers in New Hampshire to be so credentialed.
Family Law: Much of Heather's practice is devoted to family law, where she assists clients with a myriad of sensitive legal issues that have life-changing impact on their families and relationships. Heather's work in family law includes representing individuals in all aspects of the divorce process. Her goal is to assure that disentanglement from a spouse or partner moves forward as smoothly as possible with each client’s unique circumstances in mind. Known to be focused and thorough in her approach, Heather has extensive experience representing high-net worth clients in divorce matters, often involving the valuation and division of business interests and other complex assets.
Heather works closely with clients of various income levels and backgrounds on:
- Divorce and parenting actions
- Prenuptial agreements, post-nuptial agreements, and cohabitation agreements
- Spousal maintenance and alimony
- Post-divorce child support, alimony, and parenting modifications
- Domestic violence protective orders, and other restraining orders
- Grandparent visitation
Heather’s knowledge and legal experience make her a valuable resource outside of the courtroom as well. She is a frequent presenter on family law topics, including prenuptial agreements, child support, and federal law issues that arise in family law matters. She is also a regular guest lecturer at the University of New Hampshire.
Complex Commercial Litigation: Heather is an experienced commercial litigator in the state and federal courts, known for her attention to detail, research skills, and thorough preparation. Her commercial litigation experience includes a multi-million dollar intellectual property action, as well as other complex business disputes.
Appellate Law: Heather briefs and argues all manner of appeals before the New Hampshire Supreme Court. A gifted writer, her written submissions are crisp, clear, and persuasive.
Professional Licensure: As a complement to her litigation practice, Heather represents practitioners in professional licensing matters. She is knowledgeable about the administrative agency process by virtue of her role as Chair of the New Hampshire Department of Employment Security's Appellate Board, where she conducts appellate hearings and writes decisions in New Hampshire unemployment compensation appeals.
Professionals who may seek Heather's assistance in matters involving administrative agencies include:
Heather received her B.A. in English from the University of Vermont and her J.D., with distinction, from Emory University School of Law. Prior to joining The Stein Law Firm, PLLC, she started her career as an associate working with Bob Stein. Heather then practiced for eight years in the domestic relations, litigation, and appellate groups of a large New Hampshire law firm, before rejoining Bob as "of counsel" to The Stein Law Firm, PLLC in 2010.
Heather is admitted to practice in New Hampshire and Massachusetts, the U.S. District Court (New Hampshire and Massachusetts), and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit. She is a member of the American Bar Association (ABA), the New Hampshire Bar Association (NHBA), and the New Hampshire Women’s Bar Association (NHWBA).
In 2012, the New Hampshire Supreme Court appointed Heather to serve on the Professional Conduct Committee of the Attorney Discipline Office. In 2006, she was selected to serve on the New Hampshire Supreme Court Commission on the Status of the Legal Profession. In the community, Heather serves on the board of trustees for the Women’s Fund of New Hampshire, and recently completed a six-year term as a trustee of Planned Parenthood of Northern New England.
- Best Lawyers' 2014 Concord Family Law "Lawyer of the Year"
- Best Lawyers in America, 20th edition (2014) (Family Law)
- Best Lawyers in America, 19th edition (2013) (Family Law)
- Fellow, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers (AAML) (2012)
- Super Lawyers® - Rising Stars Edition (2010-12)
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers (AAML)
- Professional Conduct Committee, Attorney Discipline Office (2012 to present)
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- New Hampshire Bar Association; Chair, Family Law Section (2012)
- New Hampshire Department of Employment Security's Appellate Board, Chair (2010 to present)
- New Hampshire Women's Bar Association; President (2004-2006)
- Women's Fund of New Hampshire, Board of Trustees (2008-Present)
- Planned Parenthood of Northern New England, Trustee (2005-2011); Chair of the Action Fund (2007-2008)
- New Hampshire Association for Justice, Presenter: NHAJ's Annual Family Law Forum (2012; 2013)
- New Hampshire Bar Association, Practical Skills Program, Presenter: Family Law (2012; 2013)
- New Hampshire Women's Bar Association, Presenter: Developments in Family Law (2005; 2012)
- University of New Hampshire, Guest Lecturer, Families and the Law (2006-2012)
- New Hampshire Bar News, "Book Review: Inside the Castle in 20th Century America" (November 18, 2011)
- New Hampshire Bar News, "When Does a Divorce Decree Actually Become Effective?" (February 13, 2009)
- New Hampshire Bar Association CLE, Faculty (2007, 2008)
- New Hampshire Bar Association, Presenter: Family Law Section (2000, 2008)
- National Conference of Women's Bar Associations, Presenter: Annual Summit (2004)
Heather can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 603-228-1109.